KDE after login...not

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Mar 27 21:08:09 GMT 2004

Bob McIlvaine wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well, I've tried the info I've found with google and every
> source I can...but, no happiness.
>
> I am running KDE on OpenBSD 3.4.
>
> X seems to be installed and working. When the machine
> boots the X login screen comes up with the nice gui and a
> puffy fish graphic.

A "fish"????  Are you certain that this is the KDM login screen?

> So far so good.
>
> If I login, I get a an xterm window.
>
> if I then type startkde, the KDE desktop is added to the
> screen.
>
> But, if I create a .xsession file and put the startkde line in it.

Exactly what an: "~./xesssion" file does is system/distro dependent, but I
would put the full path in it.  E.G.:

	/usr/kde3/bin/startkde

where the path is system/distro dependent.

> No xterm starts and I get a box saying that "Couldn't start
> kdeinit" and an ok button. Clicking this button returns me to
> the puffy screen.

After you login with the graphical login, it runs a script: "Xsession".  It
is this script that determines how the X session starts.  This script also
needs to see that you PATH and other environment variables are set
correctly.  In Linux, this can be done by having it be a login script or
directly sourcing: "/etc/profile" & ("$HOME/.bash_profile" |
"$HOME/.profile") -- unless you are using Bash, it would be: "$HOME/.profile".

> So I ssh in from another machine and rename the .xsession
> file and we're back to the way it was.

You can probably just login to a console to make changes in the GUI login.

> Now what I'd like is the choice of starting a plain xterm
> session OR kde after I enter username and password OR a
> none GUI command line.

You need to check and see what: "Xsession" is doing.

> The puffy login screen is fine with me.

This is probably not the KDM login screen.

> So, nothing that I've googled has given me much in the way
> of concise guidance here.
>
> - Could someone point me to docs that have complete
> details (everything I've found so far is a bit of this, a bit of
> that) of setting up kde.

First you need to see that you are using KDM.  Check to see that KDM is
being called when the system boots.

> - Could someone explain or point to docs which show the
> complete sequence of what goes on to start and xterm
> session/KDE session. (i'e. what scripts and their sequence at
> login are run...or expected/optioned, what shell variables are
> involved.)

After you login, it executes:

	Xsession <Session type>

--