custom fonts not working under KDE 3.2.1

Jason Harris jharris at 30doradus.org
Mon Mar 22 10:08:26 GMT 2004

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

> It would be Qt that was making the difference.  Are you
> using a different version of Qt?  There are bugs in Qt's
> font handling.
Yes, KDE-3.2-rc1 uses Qt-3.2.1; KDE-3.2.1 uses Qt 3.3.1.  The two Qt
versions are both currently installed.

> Do you have fonts in directories that FontConfig isn't finding?
Hmm, why is this relevant?  The problem is the fonts that FontConfig
*is* finding, but that KDE-3.2.1 can't use.

> Is the number of fonts reported when you run the above, the
> correct number of fonts in the directory?
There are fewer files in /usr/local/share/fonts than FontConfig reports.
I was assuming this was due to Bold/Italic variants within single font
files...

> And, I have to report that Qt-3.3.1 doesn't seem to like that font.
> I installed by hand and it didn't work in KWord, and does not work
> in the KDE font selector widget.  Is it possible that the font is
> Microsoft only -- Qt uses the Mac TrueType header.
Interesting.  I got the fonts on a webpage collection of free fonts; I
would not be suprised if they were designed for Windows use.  However,
*all* of these fonts work perfectly under KDE-3.2-rc1/Qt-3.2.1.  Does
this mean there is a regression bug in the font handling code in
Qt-3.3.1?  Is this a known problem?

I also find it interesting that when I point konqueror-3.2.1 to
"fonts:/System/", it can preview all of these fonts perfectly.  The
Font Install KCM can also.

thanks,
Jason
 --