Kowto check if Konqueror is Java enabled

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Jun 29 02:47:25 BST 2004

John Zoetebier wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:

>>>The settings in Konqueror are OK.
>>>However my bank web site keeps complaining something is wrong with Java.
>>>Is there a web site where I can test if the java settings are OK ?
>>
>>This page from the SUN Java Tutorial has a simple applet emedded:
>>
>>http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/applet/overview/lifeCycle.html
>

> Applet works fine.
> Please go to web site http://www.postbank.nl
> Under Mijn Postbank.nl click on login.
> Use a browser like Mozilla with the Java plugin enabled: check via Help >
> Plugins
> Wait about 10 seconds and you get a dialog to download a Java Applet:
> ==>
> Warning - security
> Do you want to trust the signed applet distributed by "Postbank N.V"
> ==>
>
> This dialog box does not appear when using Konqueror.
> I believe this is at the core of the Java problem.
> Any ideas about this ?

Did the page KK suggested work?

Your bank page works for me -- I click [log in] and a new window opens with the
login widget.

I have KDE-3.2.3 and Sun JRE: j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.

If you don't have Sun JRE 1.4.2, you also need the Secure Extensions for Java.
These used to be separate but they come with version 1.4.2.

It is also possible (but not probable) that you have an SSL problem.  Are you
able to use secure sites that don't use Java?

--
JRT