Kowto check if Konqueror is Java enabled

John Zoetebier john.zoetebier at transparent.co.nz
Tue Jun 29 22:51:17 BST 2004

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> John Zoetebier wrote:
>> Kevin Krammer wrote:

>>>This page from the SUN Java Tutorial has a simple applet emedded:
>>>
>>>http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/applet/overview/lifeCycle.html
>>

>> Applet works fine.
>> Please go to web site http://www.postbank.nl
>> Under Mijn Postbank.nl click on login.
>> Use a browser like Mozilla with the Java plugin enabled: check via Help >
>> Plugins
>> Wait about 10 seconds and you get a dialog to download a Java Applet:
>> ==>
>> Warning - security
>> Do you want to trust the signed applet distributed by "Postbank N.V"
>> ==>
>>
>> This dialog box does not appear when using Konqueror.
>> I believe this is at the core of the Java problem.
>> Any ideas about this ?
>
> Did the page KK suggested work?

Page http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/applet/overview/lifeCycle.html
is working fine for me.
Applet starts as expected.

> Your bank page works for me -- I click [log in] and a new window opens
> with the login widget.

Yes, login window opens. That is not the issue.
What should happen next is a dialog with a message to trust a Java applet.
The dialog for java applet does not appear in Konqueror.
It does however appear in borwser like Mozilla 1.6 and Opera 7.5

> I have KDE-3.2.3 and Sun JRE: j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.

I have KDE-3.2  BRANCHE .= 20040204 and j2sdk-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin

> If you don't have Sun JRE 1.4.2, you also need the Secure Extensions for
> Java. These used to be separate but they come with version 1.4.2.
>
> It is also possible (but not probable) that you have an SSL problem.  Are
> you able to use secure sites that don't use Java?

No problem with SSL. Konqueror happily handles other bank web sites.

John Zoetebier