lost "Meta Info" tab in file properties

Juris B jurisb at netmail.lv
Mon Jun 21 18:28:37 BST 2004

Hi again!

> The meta info tab is showed only if KDE knows the filetype and can
> show you some additional information about that file.
>
> First I would try to right-click on different types of files to see
> if it does not work at all or only on a few.

Done that, tried that. Still no "Meta Info" tab.

> The meta information is gathered by kfile plugins and they are
> installed in <kde-install-dir>/lib/kde3/kfile_something.so
> And to work, they use .desktop files which are installed
> <kde-install>/share/services/kfile_something.desktop and include a
> line with X-KDE-Library=kfile_something
>
> Check if you have all of them

jb at silk:~$ cd /usr/
jb at silk:/usr$ find . -name 'kfile*.so'
./lib/kde3/kfileaudiopreview.so
./lib/kde3/kfile_font.so
[snip]
./lib/kde3/kfile_mp3.so
./lib/kde3/kfile_ogg.so
./lib/kde3/kfile_wav.so

jb at silk:/usr$ find . -name 'kfile*.desktop'
./share/servicetypes/kfileplugin.desktop
./share/services/kfile_font.desktop
./share/services/kfile_deb.desktop
[snip]
./share/services/kfile_mp3.desktop
./share/services/kfile_ogg.desktop
./share/services/kfile_wav.desktop

jb at silk:/usr$ grep -R 'X-KDE-Library' ./share/services/kfile_*.desktop
./share/services/kfile_au.desktop:X-KDE-Library=kfile_au
[snip]
./share/services/kfile_m3u.desktop:X-KDE-Library=kfile_m3u
./share/services/kfile_mp3.desktop:X-KDE-Library=kfile_mp3

So ... all semms to be OK. What next?

OK, maybe someone could give me a good advice on how-to export kde
settings for most of applications I use. Say, konqueror, KMail,
Konsole, Kate ... etc. because at this point I the only solution I
see is recreating ~/.kde directory. E.g. backuping the oldone,
deleting and then making an attempt to restore some settings from the
backuped ~/.kde to newly created. This sounds rather tricky. Is there
any other solution?

P.S. System: Debian testing/unstable, KDE 3.2.2.