lost "Meta Info" tab in file properties

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Tue Jun 15 21:06:14 BST 2004

On Monday 14 June 2004 19:43, Juris B wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I managed somehow to get rid of "Meta Info" tab when right clicked on
> file and then choose "Properties". So, I have no idea how to get it
> back. Well, I tried deleting ~/.kde directory and along with loosing
> all my kde settings(OK, i made a backup) i got it back. So, it should
> be working. But this is no way to go! Because I have spent some
> effort tuning kde look to my taste and don't want to loose that. So,
> i copied back my backup ~/.kde directory and now i want to figure out
> how to enable that "Meta Info" tab. And at this point I'm stuck.

The meta info tab is showed only if KDE knows the filetype and can show you
some additional information about that file.

First I would try to right-click on different types of files to see if it does
not work at all or only on a few.

The meta information is gathered by kfile plugins and they are installed in
<kde-install-dir>/lib/kde3/kfile_something.so
And to work, they use .desktop files which are installed
<kde-install>/share/services/kfile_something.desktop and include a line with
X-KDE-Library=kfile_something

Check if you have all of them

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin    ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail

       Some operating systems are called 'user friendly',
             Linux however is 'expert friendly'.