kde takes a nose dive

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Jun 2 17:09:51 BST 2004

john brennan-sardou wrote:
> Hello,
>    Houston, I think we have a problem. Every time I try to enter into
> kde under Fedora core 2 kde sends me messages saying that the programe
> has crashed and gives me the Signal 11 and a Sigserv message. Of course
> the system becomes very unstable and my nerves can't stand it. In
> console mode there is no problem so one should think that the vidéo may
> be at the root of the problem. It is in fact a Nvidia Gforce fx (without
> the nvidia driver from nvidia that is). There is a whole lot of Via
> components in this computer (it is not my fault, I do what I can) and
> every time I try to "yum" to livna I get a segmentation fault. Can you
> please give me some idea how to get out of this one? It seems to me that
> there is a gui problem here.

I suspect that there are problems with Fedora Core.  I have no proof but I
do know that its GLibc is hacked and contains at least some code from
version 2.3.3 although that version has not been released yet.  This may,
or may not, be the source of the problems.

The KDE-RedHat project has released RPMs for Fedora Core 2:

ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/2/RPMS.stable

Have you tried these?

--
JRT