kde takes a nose dive

Denis Vlasenko vda at port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua
Thu Jun 3 08:32:26 BST 2004

On Wednesday 02 June 2004 19:09, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> john brennan-sardou wrote:
> > Hello,
> >    Houston, I think we have a problem. Every time I try to enter into
> > kde under Fedora core 2 kde sends me messages saying that the programe
> > has crashed and gives me the Signal 11 and a Sigserv message. Of course
> > the system becomes very unstable and my nerves can't stand it. In

I've seen an email signature "The bug is not a problem. It's a call
to action".

Define "system becomes very unstable" (details?).

> > console mode there is no problem so one should think that the vidéo may
> > be at the root of the problem. It is in fact a Nvidia Gforce fx (without
> > the nvidia driver from nvidia that is). There is a whole lot of Via
> > components in this computer (it is not my fault, I do what I can) and
> > every time I try to "yum" to livna I get a segmentation fault. Can you

Buugy hardware typically results in not only segvs, but oopses and crashes.
You are drawing conclusions before any investigation.

> > please give me some idea how to get out of this one? It seems to me that
> > there is a gui problem here.

Try to start bare X first. If it works, you have KDE problem.
If not, you have X problem. Etc. Generally, narrow it down first.

When you have simple application segv'ing (not whole X+KDE),
you can run it under strace and gdb and know where exactly it
is feeling not ok.

--
vda