chars problems in kde (UTF8)
James Richard Tyrer
tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jul 23 01:39:42 BST 2004
> Em Quinta, 22 de Julho de 2004 22:54, o James Richard Tyrer escreveu:
>>>I think i discover the problem, but i dont know how to solve it.
>>>My kde is in Portuguese (iso 8859-1) and happens some times in konqueror
>>>navigator, kmail, firefox, that appears some strange chars.
>>>So for example, in konqueror navigator in the first/welcome page, when
>>>should appear 'distribuição' it appears 'distribuiÃ§Ã£o', where should
>>>appear 'últimos' appears 'Ãºltimos' and so on.
>>>And i resolve to see whats happening with the program KCharSekect, and
>>>when i choosed the letter 'ç' and copyed it to the clipboar as UTF8, and
>>>pasted it from the clipboard appeared this Ã§ (all this done in the
>>>Now i copyed 'Ã§' to the clipboard and then pasted from the clipboard as
>>>UTF8, and voila, appeared again the correct letter that i first put, the
>>>So what i concluded, the problem is encoding to UTF8 and from UTF8.
>>>What can be done to fix this to always appear the correct characters?
>>How do you have:
>> View -> Set Encoding
>>This message is from the kde mailing list.
>>Account management: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.
>>More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.
> All that you people say is nothing new to me, before i had in konqueror to
> "use language encoding" but with that i have problems displayubg UTF8 fonts.
> I see that no one can resolve this problem...anyway...
> Believe me, i tried all options and the one who could resolve me this problem
> was in firefox, kmail and konqueror set charset to UTF8, than i can choose
> Auto that will all displayed ok.
> i hope that in next version of kde this dont happens.
Well, I thought that I could be more help if I knew what encoding you had
Konqueror set to. The direct answer to your question is that there is nothing
that will fix it so that you always have the correct display. What I can tell
you is that if you set the character encoding correctly (manually) that it will
then display correctly. If when you see these extra characters, you change the
setting from auto to UTF-8 then it will work.
There are different character encodings. The same bytes representing different
glyphs. Web pages and e-mail is supposed to explicitly state what encoding it uses:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
and then it should display correctly. Unfortunately, some e-mail and web pages
don't properly state the encoding. If they say nothing then some auto detection
routine will try to determine it if enabled. This may fail. It is highly
probable that Mozilla's auto detection routines are better than KDE's. It is
true that Mozilla is better at displaying broken web pages than Konqueror is.
I would suggest that you try seting it to:
View -> Set Encoding -> Manual -> Unicode ( utf8 )
and see how well this works.
The reason for this is that ASCII is a subset of UTF8.
This message is from the kde mailing list.
Account management: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.
More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.
More information about the kde