Cool new featuress for a new kde?!

Janne Ojaniemi janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi
Mon Jul 19 17:27:53 BST 2004

> I personally son't like a lot of eye candy because I'm running on a laptop
> and to keep the laptop small and weight down I chose to go with a smaller
> 12" screen and slower processor.  Not everyone has or wants a 4GHz desktop
> that dims the lights in their house when its powered on.

Is someone forcing people with slower computers to enable all eye-candy the UI
offers? If someone runs KDE with a slower computer (like I do, on a 300Mhz
P2) he can just disable the eye-candy. If you run KDE on a fast machine (like
I do, 2.2GHz Athlon64 with 1GB of RAM), you can then enable all the
features/eye-candy the UI has to offer.

I don't think that progress of features/eye-candy should be held back by those
people who still use old computers. Those people can either upgrade their
computers (really, modern PC is not THAT expensive), disable the eye-candy or
continue to use the software they are currently using. If we designed our
UI's so that it's always usable to that guy who still uses a 60Mhz Pentium,
we would still be using TWM!