Cool new featuress for a new kde?!

daniel danstemporaryaccount at yahoo.ca
Tue Jul 20 00:20:50 BST 2004

On July 16, 2004 05:16 pm, Ji Zhuang wrote:
> hey! :) I'm not a programmer, but I'm just wondering...

< snip >

> phew... a lot of features... but i know nothing of how to make all this a
> reality... anyone can help?!

i get the distinct impression that you're a fan of osX.  while most of the
stuff you want to do here is possible with what we've currently got in linux,
it's not a very good idea.

unfortunately, (nearly) everything gui-like in the linux world is based on the
Xfree stuff (yes, i know we're moving to x.org, but the argument holds).  the
x libraries have relatively fallen behind the "ooooo pretty" effects we see
in osX by a number of factors including but not limited to lack of 3d driver
support in the kernel and (from what i've heard) a "closed" community of
developers working on x.  as a result, things like integrated opengl and
"true translucency" aren't possible yet... not without a LOT of cpu that
would just make that sort of thing unuseable.

now, with the eye-candy out of the way, i have to say that some of the other
stuff relating to verbal recognition sounds rather useful... 'course i'm not
blind and hate it the idea of my computer talking to me, but it sounds like a
feature that some would want.

i would suggest that you post your requests to bugs.kde.org and label them
WISHLIST.  if a developer likes the idea and has the time, (s)he might take
it up.  but the best way to get this kind of thing into kde is to sit down,
learn the stuff and write it yourself.  then, you can submit it to the
project and be praised by the rest of us ;-)

if you do decide to post any of your ideas to bugs.kde.org, remember the
following:

  1.  ONE IDEA PER BUG.  if you posted that email to the reporting tool, it
      would likley get ignored.

  2.  be descriptive.  "a desktop interface with active, animated and
      auto-updated desktop scenes" is really very vague and makes no sense to
      someone who's never seen what you're talking about before.

good luck.

--
we live as though the world is as it should be
to show it what it can be