kdm problem

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Feb 22 21:27:29 GMT 2004

Martin Fahrendorf wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 11. Februar 2004 22:44 schrieb James Richard Tyrer:
>
>>Martin Fahrendorf wrote:
>>
>>>Your problem is not the file kdmrc. This file is no longer used to
>>>show the selection of available WMs. kde3.2 uses .desktop files in
>>>$KDEDIR/share/apps/kdm/sessions to determine wether a WM is
>>>available or not. In these files there is a entry called TryExec.
>>>On startup kdm checks whether the command in TryExec can be
>>>executed. If yes, the WM is displayed in the entry, if not ... . If
>>>you chose one of these entries from kdm the Exec part of the
>>>.desktop file is passed to the xsession script (defined in kdmrc).
>>
>>I seem to be unable to find this either in the HELP or in:
>>
>>http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog3_1_5to3_2.php
>>
>>I also notice that I do not have this directory:
>>
>>$KDEDIR/share/apps/kdm/sessions/
>>
>>and that the Session types listed in my (old): "kdmrc" file still
>>show up in the KDM login widget.
>>
>>So, perhaps it is more complicated than you stated.
>>
>>I also notice that the KCM for Login Manager appears to be missing
>>the: "Sessions" tab.  Is this normal (for 3.2)?  How do I configure
>>my Sessions?
>

> Hm, that is strange, indeed. I added a .desktop file in my session
> directory because i use both, kde31 and kde32 and the default
> installation only supports plain kde. and after a restart of kdm, the
> Entry for my kde32 installation is shown in the session selection (at
> least on two different hosts). Btw: always compiled from plain kde
> source.
>
> Perhaps, kdm uses the .desktop files if the session directory is there
> and the kdmrc things if the directory is not there.
>
> I also wondered that the kdm kcontrol modul can no longer add/remove WM
> (as kde31 modul can do).

There is some documentation in a README file in: "kdebase/kdm/".

Apparently, the new system is only used if you have the line:

	[X-*-Core]

	SessionsDirs=/usr/share/kdm/sessions,/usr/share/kdm/sessions

is added to the: "kdmrc" file to replace the:

	SessionTypes=kde,default,gnome,failsafe,

line.

But the only way to configure this appears to be by hand. :-(

--
JRT