kdm problem

Martin Fahrendorf fahrendorf at helix-gmbh.net
Thu Feb 12 06:07:41 GMT 2004

Am Mittwoch, 11. Februar 2004 22:44 schrieb James Richard Tyrer:
> Martin Fahrendorf wrote:
> >
> > Your problem is not the file kdmrc. This file is no longer used to
> > show the selection of available WMs. kde3.2 uses .desktop files in
> > $KDEDIR/share/apps/kdm/sessions to determine wether a WM is
> > available or not. In these files there is a entry called TryExec.
> > On startup kdm checks whether the command in TryExec can be
> > executed. If yes, the WM is displayed in the entry, if not ... . If
> > you chose one of these entries from kdm the Exec part of the
> > .desktop file is passed to the xsession script (defined in kdmrc).
>
> I seem to be unable to find this either in the HELP or in:
>
> http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog3_1_5to3_2.php
>
> I also notice that I do not have this directory:
>
> $KDEDIR/share/apps/kdm/sessions/
>
> and that the Session types listed in my (old): "kdmrc" file still
> show up in the KDM login widget.
>
> So, perhaps it is more complicated than you stated.
>
> I also notice that the KCM for Login Manager appears to be missing
> the: "Sessions" tab.  Is this normal (for 3.2)?  How do I configure
> my Sessions?

Hm, that is strange, indeed. I added a .desktop file in my session
directory because i use both, kde31 and kde32 and the default
installation only supports plain kde. and after a restart of kdm, the
Entry for my kde32 installation is shown in the session selection (at
least on two different hosts). Btw: always compiled from plain kde
source.

Perhaps, kdm uses the .desktop files if the session directory is there
and the kdmrc things if the directory is not there.

I also wondered that the kdm kcontrol modul can no longer add/remove WM
(as kde31 modul can do).

> --
> JRT

Martin