how to make KDE faster?

Dik Takken D.H.J.Takken at phys.uu.nl
Fri Feb 20 20:07:47 GMT 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, enine wrote:

> Its actually pretty easy.  Download all the kde source archives to one folder (/usr/src/kde32 for example).

A few more notes:

In order for KDE to find all libraries that it can use, make sure you have
the devel packages of all KDE 3.2 dependencies installed. You can find all
required/recommended libraries on

http://www.kde.org/info/requirements/3.2.php

And if you do

./configure --help

you will find that there are many ways to customize the compilation
process. Some configure options that I always use are:

--disable-debug
--disable-dependency-tracking
--enable-final

Also take care of your compiler flags. For GCC 3.2.x and higher, I found
that setting the CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and CPPFLAGS environment variables to

-march=athlon -O2 -fomit-frame-pointers -falign-functions -mmmx -m3dnow
-ffast-math -fstrength-reduce -frerun-cse-after-loop -s -fschedule-insns2

before running configure produces really good code on my machine. Of
course you need to tune that a bit depending on your hardware.

Cheers!

Dik