how to make KDE faster?

enine enine at ninefamily.com
Fri Feb 20 19:39:30 GMT 2004

Its actually pretty easy.  Download all the kde source archives to one folder (/usr/src/kde32 for example).
extract arts
cd arts
./configure && make
exit Xwindows
cd arts
make install
extract kdelibs
cd kdelibs
./configure and make
make install
extract kdebase
cd kdebase
./configure && make
make install
Now if you want I have found out your safe to startx but don't run any of the apps like kmail.
extract next source archive
cd
./configure && make
make install.

I have found that if you try to configure and /or make libs and base and arts at the same time strange things happen, so for those base three do them in order one at a time.  The rest pretty much don't matter except for a couple and they will tell you at the end of the configure script that you won't get xx app unless you install yy first.

I've done this from 3.1.1 to 3.1.3 to 3.1.4 to 3.2 so far and its worked fine.