how to make KDE faster?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Feb 20 21:24:46 GMT 2004

>>As a normal user, I find the discussion a bit confusing. This seems to imply
>>that the fedora RPMS (from the KDE website?) are not optimal. Is this the
>>case, and if so, can't it be fixed?

If you hear from anyone who has evidence of this claim of unoptimized
RPMS, I'd love to hear it... Otherwise, it's nothing but pure speculation.

> I am not sure.
> Redhat (either before or after fedora) has alwasy been primarily gnome
> oriented, with KDE as a second choice desktop environment.

I'd like to thing kde-redhat (http://kde-redhat.sf.net) does a pretty
good job.

> Suse (and mandrake and many others) have put KDE is their D.E. of choice,
> which in turn means that more care is being spend on making the rpms
> better.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but have you ever actually *looked* at
any of Suse's src.rpms recently?  RedHat's packages may not be the best
out there, but the Suse ones I've looked at made me feel a lot better
about RedHat.

That aside, can we leave these classic "RedHat doesn't care about KDE"
arguements alone?  If they truly didn't care, KDE wouldn't be in the
distro, period.

-- Rex