kdm problem

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Feb 11 21:44:56 GMT 2004

Martin Fahrendorf wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 10. Februar 2004 19:46 schrieb chriss kalogeropoulos:
>
>>First of all i want to thank you for the help you gave
>>me.
>>
>>However i must point that i did not run into any
>>problems when i upgraded from kde 3.1.4 to kde 3.1.5
>>
>>This whole thing started when i upgraded to kde 3.2
>>
>>Also i must say that in both cases i used rpm packages
>>for the upgrade and did not build from source.
>>
>>I don't know if this has anythink to do with it
>>
>>Also the KDEDIR variable is unset...
>>
>>I can always use gdm but i would prefer kdm since its
>>much better looking at.
>>
>>Maybe looking at the source would help since i am i
>>programmer myself ???
>>
>>Anyway, Richard thanks..
>>
>>chrissk_2 at yahoo.gr
>

> Your problem is not the file kdmrc. This file is no longer used to show
> the selection of available WMs. kde3.2 uses .desktop files in
> $KDEDIR/share/apps/kdm/sessions to determine wether a WM is available
> or not. In these files there is a entry called TryExec. On startup kdm
> checks whether the command in TryExec can be executed. If yes, the WM
> is displayed in the entry, if not ... . If you chose one of these
> entries from kdm the Exec part of the .desktop file is passed to the
> xsession script (defined in kdmrc).

I seem to be unable to find this either in the HELP or in:

http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog3_1_5to3_2.php

I also notice that I do not have this directory:

$KDEDIR/share/apps/kdm/sessions/

and that the Session types listed in my (old): "kdmrc" file still show up
in the KDM login widget.

So, perhaps it is more complicated than you stated.

I also notice that the KCM for Login Manager appears to be missing the:
"Sessions" tab.  Is this normal (for 3.2)?  How do I configure my Sessions?

--
JRT