Problems with Modification time in the future?

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Sun Feb 1 02:13:38 GMT 2004

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:17:44 +0100
Carsten Neumann <deltor at snafu.de> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> as I can see from your mail header, that your system clock is 6 hours
> in the past. This will give you certain network problems - like you've
> encountered.
>
> 1. Choose the correct timezone by placing an appropriate copy of the
> zoneinfo file
>    (in you case /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago) as
>    /etc/localtime. There come suitable graphical tools to accomplish
>    this with the distros.
>
> 2. Adjust your system clock to reflect the correct time:
>    a) use date(1)
>      or even better:
>    b) use a network time server:
>       -) via e.g. ntpdate and place a call of it into your ppp-up
>       script
>         or if you have a permanent internet connexion
>       -) you can run a NTP server (ntpd).
>          There are lists of NTP servers (use of stratum 2 is
>          recommended) available at e.g.:
>          http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/
>    Don't forget to update your hardware clock with hwclock(8) after
>    you've corrected your system clock.
>
> 3. If you run only a U*X OS, change your system clock to UTC and add a
> "-u" option
>    to the hwclock(8) call at boot-time.
>
> HTH, kind regards,
>
> 	Carsten

Hello, Everyone :)
Thank you all for your help on this matter :)  I am not even close to
giving up, but I still have a few issues that you may be able to help me
with:
1. Network Time Protocol: I now have it set to run at boot time, but
after studying the man page, and looking for a graphical tool to
configure it, I still can't figure out where to put the address of the
time server that I decided on.  Your help on this would be appreciated,
if you are able to help :)
2. In relation to Carsten's point number 3 from above, I set my system
clock using the following command:
/sbin/hwclock --utc --date 7:30 --set
I (thought) I figured out that since my, let's say, email header should
read -0600 instead of +0000, if I would set hwclock to run at UTC (six
hours ahead) of my local time), instead of CST.  I'm not sure anymore
what that last sentence is supposed to mean, but look at this:

Before Reboot:
command - "date": 			Sun Feb  1 01:54:12 UTC 2004
command - "/sbin/hwclock --show"	Sun 01 Feb 2004 01:55:03 AM UTC -0.005890 seconds

After Reboot:
command - "date":			Sun Feb  1 02:04:35 UTC 2004
command - "/sbin/hwclock --show"	Sun 01 Feb 2004 02:05:18 AM UTC -0.459324 seconds

I just checked the time at the following location, immediately following
the ouput of the "After Reboot" commands shown above:
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/home.htm

The result: I was a mere few seconds off from what the Greenwich Mean
Time website said I should be. Oh yeah, when I rebooted, I noticed that
the Network Time Daemon started without any obvious problems.  Of
course, I have a dial-up connection, so I don't really understand why I
got an "OK" when it started :)

In closing, I need to get to bed :)  Please feel free to study my e-mail
header, and the information in this e-mail.  I will be glad to answer
any questions that you may have for me, or try anything that you tell me
to try (If I can figure out how to do it :))

Steven P. Ulrick