Desktop Icons question

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Fri Dec 24 00:22:27 GMT 2004

On Thursday 23 December 2004 17:13, Lane wrote:
> On Thursday 23 December 2004 16:00, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 December 2004 16:26, Lane wrote:
> > > How can I direct kde to display a thumbnail of a random .jpg file when
> > > I place it on the desktop, instead of the mime icon for .jpg?
> >
> > For me, it works be checking RMB-> Configure Desktop-> Behavior-> File
> > Icons -> Show Icon Previews for-> Images.
> >
> > I am using KDE 3.4 Alpha.
> >
> > Hope that helps,
> > Thomas
>
> Yeah!  This is what I thought, too.  But I have that checked and still no
> preview.
>
> I unchecked it, applied it, refreshed the desktop, logged out, logged back
> in, rechecked it, refreshed again, and still no images.
>
> The thumbnail images show up fine in konqueror, just not on the desktop.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>

> lane
I've found that if I exit KDE, then move ~/.kde to ~/.kde.old and restart KDE,
I can then configure the desktop to show the thumbnails that I desire.
However, this particular HACK makes konqueror forget my cookie settings,
makes kmail forget who I am, and just generally resets the whole ball-o-kde.

So the question now is:  Which file or files in ~/.kde could be deleted to
cause KDE to reset only the desktop to its default settings?

thanks,

lane
P.S.  KUDOS to the KDE team for making it so easy to reset everything!  Not to
mention for creating the most inviting desktop around!