Desktop Icons question

Larry Howe larry.howe at comjet.com
Fri Dec 24 00:54:02 GMT 2004

On Thursday 23 December 2004 19:22, Lane wrote:
> On Thursday 23 December 2004 17:13, Lane wrote:
> > >
> > > For me, it works be checking RMB-> Configure Desktop-> Behavior-> File
> > > Icons -> Show Icon Previews for-> Images.
> > >
> > > I am using KDE 3.4 Alpha.
> > >
> > > Hope that helps,
> > > Thomas
> >
> > Yeah!  This is what I thought, too.  But I have that checked and still no
> > preview.
> >
> > I unchecked it, applied it, refreshed the desktop, logged out, logged
> > back in, rechecked it, refreshed again, and still no images.
> >
> > The thumbnail images show up fine in konqueror, just not on the desktop.
> >
> > Thanks for your input.
> >

> > lane
>
> I've found that if I exit KDE, then move ~/.kde to ~/.kde.old and restart
> KDE, I can then configure the desktop to show the thumbnails that I desire.
> However, this particular HACK makes konqueror forget my cookie settings,
> makes kmail forget who I am, and just generally resets the whole
> ball-o-kde.
>
> So the question now is:  Which file or files in ~/.kde could be deleted to
> cause KDE to reset only the desktop to its default settings?
>
> thanks,
>
> lane
> P.S.  KUDOS to the KDE team for making it so easy to reset everything!  Not
> to mention for creating the most inviting desktop around!

I did a

cd ~/.kde
find . | xargs grep -i preview

That gave me a hit on share/config/kdesktoprc which has a section like

[Desktop Icons]
Preview=
ShowHidden=false

I didn't play with it, but it looks promising. BTW, this wouldn't be the first
time that I found where the GUI doesn't properly update the config files.
Fortunately, this being linux, there's always another way to do it.

Larry