remote desktop question

Kevin Yeung kevinyeung at ap.savi.com
Wed Dec 15 05:31:08 GMT 2004

Hi

There are a number of reasons why you want to do it on ssh, chief among which
is you don't trust the Internet _and_ your office network. Being on VPN
shields you from the dangers of the former and ssh helps with the latter.

Supposed krfb is listening on port 5900 on your work computer. Then, from your
home computer, you do:

ssh -L 5900:127.0.0.1:5900 workpc

What this does is you ssh into your work computer and at the same time ssh
listens on port 5900 on your _home_ computer. Whatever connects to home:5900
is forward on ssh to workpc:5900.

Then, at home, you do:

krdc localhost:5900

That's it.