The Integrated Desktop

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 8 03:20:24 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 15:11, Iain Dooley wrote:
> KDE is an amazing desktop environment, but of the applications
> that i use most, none of the packaged KDE programs are really the
> best of breed.

I'll reply in line:

> KOffice < OpenOffice

I like OOo, because I started out with it, and I bought a bunch of
user how-to books, etc.

But I once had a link that I couldn't open with OOo, and I clicked
on it, and Koffice was able to open it.

I use KDE 3.3 on SuSE Pro 9.2.  I'm an attorney, and a simple end
user.

> KMail < Thunderbird

I actually use kmail.  I find that it integrates well with KDE, and
it is actually pretty slick, IMHO.  I've never used T-bird, again,
just because I started with KDE, and T-bird didn't exist back then
in 2001.

> Konquerer < Firefox

I like Konq better that Ff for most stuff.  I find that Ff's screen
is too busy.  Just MHO.  But I'm glad that Ff is there, because I
use it for stuff that Konq won't render.  And I actually find that
Konq is faster than Ff.  I'm still using dial up, so the difference
counts.

Either way, I'm grateful to have the programs above available to me.