"Fixing" RedHat

tyche tyche at ica.net
Sun Sep 21 14:15:49 BST 2003

On Saturday 20 September 2003 21:36, Matt WIlliams wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've read that RedHat ships a maimed version of KDE (and many other
> things). Today I downloaded 3.1.4 RPMs from a KDE mirror. After
> uninstalling three or four packages to get qt/qt-devel installed, I got
> the new KDE RPMs installed.
>
> When I go to Control Center and look at the version, it reports
> "3.1.4-0.9x.1 Red Hat". Doh! It doesn't look like it's all "fixed".
>
> Have I "fixed" KDE on RedHat? If not, I'm tempted to get my Slack CD
> back out and install from that... any recommendations on how to get KDE
> 3.1.4 binaries?
>
> TIA,
> Matt Williams

when i went and installed 3.1.0 on my redhat 8 machine, what i ended up having
to do was reintall x from xfree.org and have it overwrite the redhat scripts.
this i ended up doing from source, and it took several days.

i also had to install from source, overwriting the original development
libraries from redhat.

it seems to me, that what redhat has been doing since 7.1 or so, is mangling
the source files so that users are kinda 'forced' to use their rpms or
actually recompile everything from source to get around the redhat licensing
paranoia.

suggestion is to recompile kde from source in /usr/local and copy (or move)
all kde file to /usr and reinstall the x binary from xfree.org.

hth

tyche