"Fixing" RedHat

Matt Williams matt at emergingmoon.com
Sun Sep 21 19:18:48 BST 2003

> when i went and installed 3.1.0 on my redhat 8 machine, what i ended up having
> to do was reintall x from xfree.org and have it overwrite the redhat scripts.
> this i ended up doing from source, and it took several days.
>
> i also had to install from source, overwriting the original development
> libraries from redhat.
>
> it seems to me, that what redhat has been doing since 7.1 or so, is mangling
> the source files so that users are kinda 'forced' to use their rpms or
> actually recompile everything from source to get around the redhat licensing
> paranoia.
>
> suggestion is to recompile kde from source in /usr/local and copy (or move)
> all kde file to /usr and reinstall the x binary from xfree.org.
>
> hth
>
> tyche

If I'm going to have to do this much work I'm going back to a real Linux
distro... Slackware! I like the concept of package management, but I
hate lockin whatsoever, and it kind of looks like that's what RH is
trying to do. Slackware does have package management but it's
primitive... oh well... my heart lies with Slackware anyway. Thanks
(everyone) for your responses!

-- Matt