Dead keys not working in KDE

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 20:57:27 BST 2003

Hi  Guillermo,

KDE sits on top of the X server, and the latter has to be set up correctly. If
XFree is set up wrongly, KDE settings will have no effect.

Check your XF86Config file.  This is usually in /etc/X11/

This is the part of my file that defines the keyboard options. I use dead
keys.

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "Keyboard"
  Identifier   "Keyboard[0]"
  Option       "Protocol" "Standard"
  Option       "XkbLayout" "fr"
  Option       "XkbModel" "pc104"
  Option       "XkbRules" "xfree86"
EndSection

Look for anything like:

Option "nodeadkeys"

Check to see if "XkbLayout" is "es"

Hope this helps

Basil Fowler

On Wednesday 15 Oct 2003 19:23, Guillermo Ballester Valor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After some problems in a SuSE 8.0 box upgrading to KDE 3.1.4, I cannot write
> vocals with tilde such as 'á' or 'ó' we need in Spanish Language.
>
> KDE can display such characters, can cut and paste, I can write it in
console
> mode (no X mode). I've set proper language, the keyboard, the layouts and a
> lot of things without success. Some config file is weird and I have no idea
> what is wrong. I have other box with same OS, same options and working OK.
>
> As example, when I try to write 'á' y get 'a'. I can get it from keyboard.
It