vanilla Red Hat 8.0, kde 3.0.3, mozilla 1.5, Sun JDK 1.4.2, www.datek.com java streamer applet fails

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Nov 19 23:11:20 GMT 2003

Ken Wolcott wrote:
> Hi;
>
>   I'm using vanilla Red Hat 8.0 (kde 3.0.3.x) with mozilla 1.5, Sun JDK
> version 1.4.2.  I go to www.datek.com, login and start the streamer.
>
> There are two problems.  One is, streamer java applet
> comes up completely black, cannot see the quotes.
> Secondly, after about a minute or so of starting
> streamer, I get:
>
> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-2"
> Exception in thread "AWT-Motif"
> Java process: caught exception from
> sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.start
> Exception in thread "main"
>
> Suggestions: Upgrade kde? Upgrade Red Hat?  Change Linux distribution? Don't
> use kde?  Don't use Linux?  Don't use datek?
>
> I'd rather not use Windoze XP.  The Windoze98 machine is too slow and can't be
> upgraded.  I'd rather use Linux.  Please help me get things I want to get
> done without using Windoze.

I can only try the demo and it works on Konqueror 3.1.4+.  But, it won't work with
Mozilla.  I am having other Mozilla problems and it might be something in RedHat.

Now, if the demo works for me and it doesn't work for you there may be hope. :-)

I presume that you are a subscriber, so I would bring the fact that it doesn't work to
their attention.

If you want to use Linux, you can purchase CrossOver Office which will run IE 5.5.  The
demo works with that.  It is also possible to install IE 5.5 your self with WINE.

--
JRT