Idea for KDE Project

Andrew Wendt awendt at putergeek.com
Thu May 29 14:24:15 BST 2003

On Thursday 29 May 2003 05:55, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > You would still need KDEDIRS to allow local, self compiled packages to go
> > into a different directory.
> But why would you want to do that?  Except that is for the "/usr vs.
> /usr/local issue.

I do this for all packages I compile from source. I install into

And then, unfortunately, I have to add something to KDEDIRS.

> Your major premise is correct, but the reason is that you can use
> KDEDIRS to solve the problem.  So, if you have a long enough path in
> KDEDIRS, then you can put KDE stuff all over the place.  I personally
> find this to be a horrible mess so I install all of the KDE 3
> applications in: /usr/kde3/ and all of the GNOME 2 applications in:
> /usr/gnome2/.  Very neat and tidy.

It's neat and tidy, until you want to uninstall one of the programs and find
that the files are all mixed together?

Something I have wondered though... Don't most programs store the --prefix
they were ./configure'd with? Why can't KDE programs do this? They could
search their prefix directory, and then the main KDE directory, and that's
it.

Then I would not have to mess with KDEDIRS, and also one KDE app wouldn't be
searching for its files in the directories of all my other unrelated KDE
apps.

TTFN
Andy