Idea for KDE Project

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu May 29 11:52:35 BST 2003

On Thursday 29 May 2003 11:55, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > You would still need KDEDIRS to allow local, self compiled packages
> > to go into a different directory.
>
> But why would you want to do that?  Except that is for the "/usr vs.
> /usr/local issue.

Sometimes /usr is not writeable, or you are just a local admin only
allowed to write into /usr/local

Or your are a user wanting to install a program in your home directory.

Or you are a developer, wanting to avoid installs every time you change a
file or have a location you can "uninstall" using rm -rf

> > It think it does not matter where a distribution puts its KDE files,
> > because you can put your self compiled programs whereever you want.
>
> Your major premise is correct, but the reason is that you can use
> KDEDIRS to solve the problem.  So, if you have a long enough path in
> KDEDIRS, then you can put KDE stuff all over the place.  I personally
> find this to be a horrible mess so I install all of the KDE 3
> applications in: /usr/kde3/ and all of the GNOME 2 applications in:
> /usr/gnome2/.  Very neat and tidy.

So why do you want to have some directory hierachy force onto you?

> I also note that once you have set the KDEDIR environment variable
> that it is the default for self compiled KDE programs to be installed
> there.

KDEDIR is deprecated.

Cheers,
Kevin