Idea for KDE Project

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu May 29 10:35:20 BST 2003

mirza wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Many problems in kde have it's roots in fact that every distro uses different
> KDE folders. Wouldn't be easy to map ALL those folders somewere inside LSB
> unix folder tree, as recommendation to distro producers, and list distros on
> KDE.org that follows these rules as "KDE friendly distros". In present, I
> install one distro afer another to recognise that every distro has it's own
> folders and environment variables defined. (if all ditros have same kde dirs
> no environment vars are needed).

You have correctly identified the problem.

This is the fragmentation dilemma.

However, you will first need to convince:

	Havoc Pennington <hp at redhat.com>

But seriously, the LSB doesn't define file locations.  There is a FHS
which does and it isn't at all clear and is subject to interpretation.

There appear to be three basic theories:

1.	/opt/kde

2.	/usr

3.	/usr/kde3

The first two appear to be equally correct according to the FHS and #3
is obviously the best choice for a desktop, but violates the FHS.

As I am sure you can see, #1 and #3 can be exactly the same with the
addition of a link!!!!  But, #2 is a mess.  Guess which one Havoc
Pennington likes.

If you are interested in this, you can join the:

dlc-discuss at desktoplinuxconsortium.org

list

There isn't _any_ traffic on this list, at least not since they all
got tired of telling my why I was wrong about everything.  These
people must all be CS types and I am an engineer -- a pragmatist.

--
JRT

PS	I hope that you can see that I am being VERY sarcastic.