Idea for KDE Project

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu May 29 10:55:13 BST 2003

Kevin Krammer wrote:

> You would still need KDEDIRS to allow local, self compiled packages to go
> into a different directory.

But why would you want to do that?  Except that is for the "/usr vs.
/usr/local issue.

> It think it does not matter where a distribution puts its KDE files,
> because you can put your self compiled programs whereever you want.

Your major premise is correct, but the reason is that you can use
KDEDIRS to solve the problem.  So, if you have a long enough path in
KDEDIRS, then you can put KDE stuff all over the place.  I personally
find this to be a horrible mess so I install all of the KDE 3
applications in: /usr/kde3/ and all of the GNOME 2 applications in:
/usr/gnome2/.  Very neat and tidy.

I also note that once you have set the KDEDIR environment variable
that it is the default for self compiled KDE programs to be installed
there.

--
JRT