Editing the K Menu

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue May 27 20:48:39 BST 2003

Mike Jones wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using KDE 3 with a red hat 9 installation.  At some point recently,
> I can't say when, the option to edit the K menu from the configure panel
> dialog has stopped working.
>
> When I select the "edit k menu" button, my hard drives go into motion
> and my system effectivly locks up.  Nothing happens, the clock does not
> even update.  I can leave it this way for hours and still the drives are
> active, but nothing.  The ONLY way out of this is the reset button.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?  Any ideas for a resolution would be
> greatly appreciated.

This is probably a distro specific issue so you would probably get
more help on a RedHat list.  But, someone here might have an answer.

The general consensus in the KDE community is that RedHat >= 8.0
doesn't work and that the cure is to either install KDE (and Qt &
aRts) from source (expect some problems with Xft, FreeType2 and/or
FontConfig) or get the RPMs from:

http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

I installed from source with RedHat 8.0 and have not updated to RedHat
9.0 [probably never will :-)].

--
JRT