fontconfig and KDE applications

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed May 14 06:49:33 BST 2003

yo _ wrote:
> Hi, i just installed KDE 3.1 and boy is it a BIG step up from GNOME 1.4.
> haha I have two problems that i'm sure someone on the list can help me
> with.
>
> I have a font configured in my KDE control panel (tahoma) and it works
> universally well across all the KDE applications, but once i add the
> directory for the tahoma font in the fontconfig fonts.conf file, tahoma
> is not shown and the default helvetica font is shown in all KDE
> applications. The font works perfectly again in KDE applications if i
> simply remove the font directories in fonts.conf. I rechecked my control
> panel and tahoma is still configured. How can i fix this so that i can
> have valid font directories in fonts.conf while still having all KDE
> applications displaying my fonts correctly. The reason i ask is that i'm
> running a GTK application that requires valid font directory entries in
> fonts.conf.

A little more information please.

Where have you installed: tahoma.ttf?

Note that using the KDE font installer doesn't work with FontConfig
unless you install in a global directory.

Did you convert the file name to all lower case?

How did you install the font?

What directories are listed in fonts.conf?

> My other problem is that when i first installed KDE i was able to change
> the timezone settings for the clock. Soon after all my timezones
> vanished, and i'm left without a clue of how to re-add timezones of my
> choice. Does this have something to do with my O/S? or can you add extra
> timezones in a configuration file somewhere for the kde clock?

I don't know.  But, to get this straight, you open Control Center and
go to:

	System Administration => Date & Time

You click the: "Administrator Mode" button, enter the root password in
the KDEsu widget and then the list of time zones is empty.  I sure
hate it when that happens. :-(

--
JRT