fontconfig and KDE applications

yo _ exhausted01 at hotmail.com
Wed May 14 03:10:59 BST 2003

Hi, i just installed KDE 3.1 and boy is it a BIG step up from GNOME 1.4.
haha I have two problems that i'm sure someone on the list can help me with.

I have a font configured in my KDE control panel (tahoma) and it works
universally well across all the KDE applications, but once i add the
directory for the tahoma font in the fontconfig fonts.conf file, tahoma is
not shown and the default helvetica font is shown in all KDE applications.
The font works perfectly again in KDE applications if i simply remove the
font directories in fonts.conf. I rechecked my control panel and tahoma is
still configured. How can i fix this so that i can have valid font
directories in fonts.conf while still having all KDE applications displaying
my fonts correctly. The reason i ask is that i'm running a GTK application
that requires valid font directory entries in fonts.conf.

My other problem is that when i first installed KDE i was able to change the
timezone settings for the clock. Soon after all my timezones vanished, and
i'm left without a clue of how to re-add timezones of my choice. Does this
have something to do with my O/S? or can you add extra timezones in a
configuration file somewhere for the kde clock?

Thanks in advance!
-rian