kde crash with Debian XFree upgrade

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat May 10 17:38:28 BST 2003

Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> The short version:
>
> KDE 3.1a build from source, X!! built from source, KDE won't run.  It
> compiled with no problems, and goes through the startup process fine,
> but the individual processes that kdeinit starts crash almost
> immediately after starting.  Suggestions?
>
> The long version:
>
> After fighting with Debian packages that don't work or crash, I finally
> started compiling the more important front end programs from scratch,
> KDE included.  I've been doing this for about a year. With the last
> apt-get upgrade, which upgraded the XFree deb packages and dependencies,
> KDE 3.1 crashed.  It will go through the init process, showing the
> started process with each process being started - peripherals, window
> manager, etc., and then after finishing the startup, there's no KDE.
> Apparently most processes die (except the FVWM window manager which
> keeps working) almost immediately after startup.  So this week I removed
> all the XWindow and its dependent deb packages and compiled XFree,
> dependencies, etc, and KDE 3.1.1a from source as standalone programs
> (not deb packages).  I'm getting much better performance from X (faster,
> higher resolutions), but KDE 3.1.1a is doing the same crash sequence as
> 3.1 - it goes through the startup sequence and on exit, no KDE.

Can you get a log of the KDE messages?  Or, just the error message
when it crashed?

I would start X11 naked (no window manager) except for an Xterm (this
is often called  and execute "startkde" in the Xterm.  Or, you can
execute [as user]:

	startx -e startkde

in the console after exiting your X session.

And the same thing should happen.  See what the last few lines of
messages say after it fails.

--
JRT