Newbie question re: Desktop panel

Daniel daniel__gauthier at yahoo.com
Sat May 10 11:44:20 BST 2003

Hello all:

My name is Daniel, I'm from Canada, Montreal.

Here is the context:

A friend of mine installed verstion 3.1.1 of KDE

       (not sure if this is the latest version and its OK
with me)

                                                  and I'm
familiarizing myself with this *new* desktop (new for me
anyway).

My knowledge is rather limited and I'm willing to learn.

Here is my question:

  In user mode, I've lost the original tool bar at the
bottom of my screen.

  ( You may also call it the KDE Panel, not sure of the
name and hope you understand what I mean here by "original
tool bar")

I've attempted without success to reset that tool bar and I
just can't :-(

This tool bar or panel is the main one that allows a user
(i.e. m_e!) to browse through the different applications
(for example the terminal(s)).

  To reset this Panel

  (

Putting all the possible options I could find back to
"Default" did not work.
  )

                       I've gone over and over the help
manual, the configuration menu, etc. without success ;-(

Would there be someone

 (patient with someone who really wants to give KDE the
best shot he can)

                       who could guide me through this
procedure? please, I'm kind of shy to ask for this kind of
low type of deskop help and I'm stuck.

  When I log in as root, obviously I can see the original
settings ( and obviously that tool bar at the bottom of the
screen) and I was advise to stay away from root as much as
I could.

Tks in advance.

Daniel.