kde crash with Debian XFree upgrade

Glen Lee Edwards glen at fcwm.org
Sat May 10 04:21:21 BST 2003

The short version:

KDE 3.1a build from source, X!! built from source, KDE won't run.  It compiled with no problems, and
goes through the startup process fine, but the individual processes that kdeinit starts crash almost
immediately after starting.  Suggestions?

The long version:

After fighting with Debian packages that don't work or crash, I finally started compiling the more
important front end programs from scratch, KDE included.  I've been doing this for about a year.
With the last apt-get upgrade, which upgraded the XFree deb packages and dependencies, KDE 3.1
crashed.  It will go through the init process, showing the started process with each process being
started - peripherals, window manager, etc., and then after finishing the startup, there's no KDE.
Apparently most processes die (except the FVWM window manager which keeps working) almost
immediately after startup.  So this week I removed all the XWindow and its dependent deb packages
and compiled XFree, dependencies, etc, and KDE 3.1.1a from source as standalone programs (not deb
packages).  I'm getting much better performance from X (faster, higher resolutions), but KDE 3.1.1a
is doing the same crash sequence as 3.1 - it goes through the startup sequence and on exit, no KDE.

Suggestions?

Regards,

Glen