kde3.1 Updating ?

Frank Frank at snapafun.co.nz
Sun Mar 16 18:03:30 GMT 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:02, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
" Frank wrote:
"
" > 1. It took me some time to configure sane to recognize Acer 640U with the
 like " > of acerware ( firmware ) involved, so will I need to save anything
 for " > further installation later.
"
" Normally, an upgrade won't change your configuration file.  RPM is supposed
 to either avoid " overwriting configuration files or save the old version.
"
" <SNIP>
"
" > 3. I note that the last entry for kdelib and the last two for kdebase
 refer to " > my present and an interim version. I take it this is required
 to get to the " > latest update state?
"
" No, this indicates that you can't Upgrade the KDE RPMs one at a time, you
 must Upgrade them all " at once:
"
" rpm -Uvh --test kdelibs*3.1-58mdk*.rpm
"
" {Note: if you are new to UNIX/Linux, yes you can use more than one '*' in a
 RE} "
" You will probably need to Upgrade aRts and Qt as well.
"
" > 4. I am a little confused as to which of the kde rpm's I am at present
" > downloading I ought to put through the above exercise to get a correct
" > dependency requirement list. ( I am leaving off the devel ones for the
 time " > being.) Is "kde-i18n-en_GB-3.1-1mdk.noarch.rpm" the one? [en my
 language] "
" You will need a new version of each KDE RPM which you currently have
 installed.  If you don't, " you will need to uninstall the old version
 first.  To get a list:
"
" 	rpm -qa |grep kde
"
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thanks very much James. All taken onboard.
--
Regards

Frank

Frank at snapafun.co.nz