Too much aRts, Polonius.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Jun 25 09:54:43 BST 2003

James Henry Maiewski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I have a SBLive! MP3+ 5.1 soundcard, and am running Mandrake Linux 9.1, using
> ALSA version 0.9.0rc8: emu10k1 (installed with the distro), and KDE 3.1.0.  By
> all accounts, this combination should work without much of a problem. but
> I've not been able to play anything but audio CDs (which tells me that the
> speakers, and their connections to the sound card are working, I hope).
>
> 	Whenever I un-mute the PCM channel I get random spurts of static, and an
> electronic 'vroom-vroom' sound when I even move the PCM slider.  When I
> attempt to play a sound file, I get an increased amount of static, until the
> playing stops (which seems to suggest that something is going right).  In
> fact, if I try to change the sound device to /dev/dsp in KDE control center,

???  Exactly where are you trying to do this??

> it can't, then switches to the NULL device, which promply silences my
> speakers.

I don't think that ALSA uses /dev/dsp.  Something about installing the ALSA
devices IIRC -- a bunch of stuff in: "/dev/snd/".

Also, you need to have your: "/etc/modules.conf" file correct for an ALSA
driver to work correctly.

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=Creative+Labs&card=Soundblaster+Live&chip=EMU10K1&module=emu10k1

         # ALSA portion
         alias char-major-116 snd
         alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
         # module options should go here

         # OSS/Free portion
         alias char-major-14 soundcore
         alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

         # card #1
         alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
         alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
         alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
         alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
         alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

Note that the ALSA site says that there are some bugs in this driver.

Perhaps it might help to install the release.  0.9.4 is now available:

http://www.alsa-project.org/

--
JRT