missing fonts and related questions

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Jun 21 08:09:35 BST 2003

I am running KDE 2.2.2 in Debian GNU/Linux testing, and also KDE
3.1.2.  The former is from Debian packages; the latter I built from
CVS about a week ago.

In both I notice big problems with fonts.  When I go into a font
picker (e.g., Control Center | Look & Feel | Fonts in KDE 2) there are
some fonts listed (e.g., Times, Fixed, Courier) that seem blank: no
preview appears in the box.  Further, in dropdown lists of fonts
(where the fonts appear in their own style--e.g., in KWord) there are
many blank lines.  I think these match the blanks from the other
tools.  Also, many things (e.g., HelpCenter) have blanks or horizontal
lines where text should be.

What do such gaps mean?  Where are things falling down?

My XFree went through a period without access to TrueType fonts (note:
Times New Roman, a TT font, does not appear on the list of fonts I see
in KDE, though Times does), but I have fixed that.  xfontsel now shows
a full set of fonts.  But KDE can't see them.

I am also using Debian's defoma and the more general fontconfig to
manage fonts.

I read that Qt had a change in naming conventions for some fonts, but
I can't see any trace of it in my .qt directory.

Finally, the configuration is odd.  KDE 3.1.2 has a font installer
tool, but it seems to require that there be a single font directory
hiearchy.  My TrueType fonts are in a separate directory; is there
any way to get this to work?  And KDE 2 has no analogue to this
facility that I can see.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.