missing fonts and related questions

liste at hgfelger.de liste at hgfelger.de
Sat Jun 21 12:02:03 BST 2003

Salut Ross,
On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Ross Boylan wrote:
I had a problem when upgrading  from KDE 3.1.1 and started with qt3.1.2
Afterwards I had problems as you described. The only solution for me, was
to reinstall an old image I made, because reinstalling the older qt did
not help too. Trolltech also had no solution...

cheers :-(
 hartwig
p.s.: with me, all affected fonts had been bitmap ones from XFree86-4.3.0
on a SuSE 8.1 system

 > I am running KDE 2.2.2 in Debian GNU/Linux testing, and also
KDE > 3.1.2.  The former is from Debian packages; the latter I built from
> CVS about a week ago.
>
> In both I notice big problems with fonts.  When I go into a font
> picker (e.g., Control Center | Look & Feel | Fonts in KDE 2) there are
> some fonts listed (e.g., Times, Fixed, Courier) that seem blank: no
> preview appears in the box.  Further, in dropdown lists of fonts
> (where the fonts appear in their own style--e.g., in KWord) there are
> many blank lines.  I think these match the blanks from the other
> tools.  Also, many things (e.g., HelpCenter) have blanks or horizontal
> lines where text should be.
>
> What do such gaps mean?  Where are things falling down?
>
> My XFree went through a period without access to TrueType fonts (note:
> Times New Roman, a TT font, does not appear on the list of fonts I see
> in KDE, though Times does), but I have fixed that.  xfontsel now shows
> a full set of fonts.  But KDE can't see them.
>
> I am also using Debian's defoma and the more general fontconfig to
> manage fonts.
>
> I read that Qt had a change in naming conventions for some fonts, but
> I can't see any trace of it in my .qt directory.
>
> Finally, the configuration is odd.  KDE 3.1.2 has a font installer
> tool, but it seems to require that there be a single font directory
> hiearchy.  My TrueType fonts are in a separate directory; is there
> any way to get this to work?  And KDE 2 has no analogue to this
> facility that I can see.
>
> Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Gruß
  hartwig felger

Hartwig Felger informatics

- --
1024D/339FD693 Hartwig Felger <hgfelger at hgfelger.de>
Key fingerprint = FB2F 3EE9 345A D55B 6FF2  0EC1 F5B0 684F 339F D693
For the pulic keys, please visit my page.