vncserver (krfb) howto

Steven Hatfield steven at knightswood.net
Wed Jun 11 12:34:16 BST 2003

David T-G wrote:
| Hi, all --
|
| Through lots of digging and poking I have managed to get krfb running and
| share out my desktop ... sort of.  I haven't actually made a successful
| connection yet, but I'm closer than I was :-)
|
| My primary purpose for wanting vncserver running is so that I can access
| my full, already-running X session on my laptop at home while I'm out
| somewhere.  I can do that if I'm just running vncserver, but then I'm not
| in my KDE desktop (plus myriad other issues).
|
| The problem, of course, is the dynamic password and the "click here to
| allow the connection" featureset.  I want a basic VNC server that always
| uses the same password (my login password would be nice in myy case, but
| the ability to have a 'viewing' password that is different is also good)
| and goes right ahead and accepts connections.
|
| I saw the --kinetd option, as well as the --config option, but the former
| didn't seem to do me any good and I find no documentation for the latter
| file's format just like for the rest of krfb.  FWIW, I have installed
| 3.1.2 on my SuSE 8.1 system from the SuSE updates tree.
|
| Can I accomplish what I seek, or is krfb not the right tool for me?
|

| TIA & HAND
|
| :-D

If you go to the KDE Control Panel, to Internet & Network and then to
Desktop Sharing, you'll see how to configure krfb for what you want.

Regards,
Steven

- --
~ +  Steven R. Hatfield   |  "The Key To Software Freedom"
~ +  Software/Database/Web Developer                        \
~ |  GNU/Linux User #104403                                  +
~ +  Email: steven at knightswood.net                           /
~ |  GPG Key: http://www.knightswood.net/steven.asc         +
~ | Question authority.  |+-+   \-+-/   \+-+/