kde fonts

Pere Constans constans at ruf.rice.edu
Tue Jul 8 07:52:11 BST 2003

Salut Hartwig, and thanks you for your answer.

This is not much a kde issue, but it seems that several kde users are facing
these problems.

I decided to reinstall everyting. First, suse 8.2 and kde 3.1.1. I get several
different fonts. True type fonts -I guess nimbus sans is- appear as AA,
eventhough deactivated -someone else reported this, also. With Adobe
Helvetica things look nice. I did upgrade to kde 3.1.2. I didn't appreciate a
significant difference, though.

I did not install the ms tt fonts. So now I have these not blurred adobe
Helvetica -is it freetype or bitmaped ?- and I can used it. So I thing
something went wrong before with this install, because then I just got very
few fonts, possible only tt -I confess, I don't know much about fonts.

Then my question is, and this is a true kde question, what is 'kde font
installer' for, exactly, and can I safely use it? I also read that it seems
to be a bug there that screws up everything.

I have a precompiled application that I need to use, and now shows no font at
all. I read something that this can happen if it was compiled using tt (it
worked in my first install).

So, does anybody know how to at these fonts, hopefully, without messing
everything else?

Thanks a lot!

Pere