kde fonts

liste at hgfelger.de liste at hgfelger.de
Sun Jul 6 11:46:53 BST 2003

Salut Pere,
On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Pere Constans wrote:
> I have a radeon 7500 on a laptop. Fonts were excellent on suse 8.0 + kde 3.x.
>
> I did upgrade to suse 8.2: new graphic card driver, essentially. Also upgraded
> to 3.1.2 and downloaded those ms tt fonts using you.
>
> After that, and keeping the same ressolution as before I realized that fonts
> were looking much bigger, eg., I used 14-15 point sizes in the control
> center; now at these sizes fonts look huge!
> I need to turn them to 9-10 to look as their previous size.
[Off topic]
So this looks as an X problem. I have a display with 110dpi. So you had
the problem, that your last X-driver was configured wrong (as having
72dpi) and to compensate this, you increased the font size... I have 12pt
fonts as the KDE-defaults... looking very nice.
[/Off topic]

> The problem however, is like a lowering in ressolution, they look ugly -at
> 8-11 points- and turning on AA makes thing worst. Also, I've lots of fonts
> installed, but just very few of them are present as kde choices (eg.,
> helvetica is missing).
>
> Just to say, this only is happening with KDE and KDE applications (gnumeric,
> openoffice, etc, doesn't feel this 'amplification' or like a
> 'resolution-lowering', even, the look better.) To say also, that the actual
> ressolution is the same as was before.
[Off topic]
I run SuSE 8.1 and KDE 3.1.1 (incl. Qt3.1.1). I tryed to upgrade to KDE
3.1.2 (incl Qt3.1.2), that messed up my fonts. Lots of the bitmapped fonts
(that came with XFree86 4.3 (also upgraded)) did not show up in Qt/KDE. As
I was lucky, had mad an image of my harddisk. So I was able to go back (as
restoring the rpms did not cure the thing for me). I have shown, that
starting from a working KDE/Qt 3.1.1 you will mess up the system by just
upgrading Qt to version 3.1.2. Trolltech did not find out, what was wrong
with my setup. As reinstalling Qt 3.1.1 did not fix the pain, I think,
that there must be a damage to some configuration-files...
If you find a solution, I am verry interssted in that, as I really like to
use the new look of Qt 3.1.2 :-/
And yes, it seems to me, that the font-problem has something to do with
antialiasing is. I got the 3.1.2 version running two three session without
antialiasing, but without change the problem reoccured - and I was not
able to cure it again.
[/Off topic]

cheers
  hartwig felger

Hartwig Felger informatics

- --
1024D/339FD693 Hartwig Felger <hgfelger at hgfelger.de>
Key fingerprint = FB2F 3EE9 345A D55B 6FF2  0EC1 F5B0 684F 339F D693
For the pulic keys, please visit my page.