kde fonts

Pere Constans constans at ruf.rice.edu
Sun Jul 6 03:13:26 BST 2003

Hi !

This is more on fonts. I've search the net for an answer but I couldn't find
anything relevant. May be there is much on this subject.

I have a radeon 7500 on a laptop. Fonts were excellent on suse 8.0 + kde 3.x.

I did upgrade to suse 8.2: new graphic card driver, essentially. Also upgraded
to 3.1.2 and downloaded those ms tt fonts using you.

After that, and keeping the same ressolution as before I realized that fonts
were looking much bigger, eg., I used 14-15 point sizes in the control
center; now at these sizes fonts look huge!
I need to turn them to 9-10 to look as their previous size.

The problem however, is like a lowering in ressolution, they look ugly -at
8-11 points- and turning on AA makes thing worst. Also, I've lots of fonts
installed, but just very few of them are present as kde choices (eg.,
helvetica is missing).

Just to say, this only is happening with KDE and KDE applications (gnumeric,
openoffice, etc, doesn't feel this 'amplification' or like a
'resolution-lowering', even, the look better.) To say also, that the actual
ressolution is the same as was before.

I appreciate any information or hint on this. It's quite eye-tiring to work
now.

Thanks a lot!!

Pere