Writting the floppy

Laurent Guignard lguignard2000 at yahoo.fr
Fri Jan 17 13:18:41 GMT 2003

Le Vendredi 17 Janvier 2003 14:06, Rafael Pérez Domínguez a écrit :
> Dear friends,
> I'm not able neither to copy nor to directly create directories or  text
> files into the floppy. I've got installed KDE inside Linux Mandrake 8.1:
>
>     1- I introduce the floppy.
>     2- I left-click on the Floppy icon getting an error answer: the floppy
> is already mounted. 3- I check the floppy unit has rwx rigths for
> everybody.
>     4- Then I right-click on Floppy -> Open with -> ... -> File Manager.
>          For that I'm asked to enter the ROOT psswd.
>     5- I navigate up to /mnt/floppy, which appears empty.
>     6- I copy a directory (owner=ROOT) from another File Manager window.
>     7- I paste it into /mnt/floppy but the paste is rejected.
>     8- I try to create a directory in /mnt/floppy but it is rejected. The
> same for a text file. 9- Finally I try to do it by cp -R MyDirectory
> /mnt/floppy, but it is also rejected with the error text  "Read-only file
> system". However I check and the rights remain rwx for everybody
>
> The floppy is MMORE 2HD DOS FORMATTED.
> Perhaps such DOS formatting is the reason for the behaviour described
> above? If so, how could I reformat it for LINUX?
>
> Previously I had done the same with another floppy I had already used
> under XP-Windows and -I don't really know how- I was able to copy
> my directory to it, though after that I'm not able to read it under
> LINUX-Mandrake-KDE  but I can actually do it under XP-Windows!
>
> Please let me know what I'm doing wrong and how to properly do it.
> Many thanks in advance,
> Rafael .

Hi,

Probably your floppy was mount in read-only mode (option ro of the mount
command).
I see 2 causes :
	- your floppy was writeprotected : so you have to change the position on the
floppy to "write enable"
	- problem with the mount command. So try to mount your floppy manually (with
the command) :
		mount -t filesystem-type /dev/fd0 mount-point
		see man for mount command. you will find all filesystem type and more option
your can need another time.

Laurent
- --
Laurent Guignard