Writting the floppy

Rafael Pérez Domínguez rpd at mundofree.com
Fri Jan 17 13:06:33 GMT 2003

Dear friends,
I'm not able neither to copy nor to directly create directories or  text files into the floppy.
I've got installed KDE inside Linux Mandrake 8.1:

    1- I introduce the floppy.
    2- I left-click on the Floppy icon getting an error answer: the floppy is already mounted.
    3- I check the floppy unit has rwx rigths for everybody.
    4- Then I right-click on Floppy -> Open with -> ... -> File Manager.
         For that I'm asked to enter the ROOT psswd.
    5- I navigate up to /mnt/floppy, which appears empty.
    6- I copy a directory (owner=ROOT) from another File Manager window.
    7- I paste it into /mnt/floppy but the paste is rejected.
    8- I try to create a directory in /mnt/floppy but it is rejected. The same for a text file.
    9- Finally I try to do it by cp -R MyDirectory /mnt/floppy, but it is also rejected
         with the error text  "Read-only file system". However I check and the rights remain
         rwx for everybody

The floppy is MMORE 2HD DOS FORMATTED.
Perhaps such DOS formatting is the reason for the behaviour described above?
 If so, how could I reformat it for LINUX?

Previously I had done the same with another floppy I had already used
under XP-Windows and -I don't really know how- I was able to copy
my directory to it, though after that I'm not able to read it under
LINUX-Mandrake-KDE  but I can actually do it under XP-Windows!

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong and how to properly do it.
Many thanks in advance,
Rafael .