How to change the properties of the "icons" in the panel?

Brian T. Schellenberger bts at babbleon.org
Thu Jan 16 15:07:53 GMT 2003

Ok, I did some followup (I *did* enter a wishlist item for this to be
easier), and the deal is this:

In *earlier* versions of KDE, changing the menu item changed the
mini-icon, because the mini-icons actually just pointed to the menu
items for their actions.

But a bug was reported on this because it meant that if you re-arranged
the the menu items then the panel mini-icons broke.  So it was changed;
the problem is that fixing that made it nearly impossible to change the
properties of the mini icons.

I have now entered a "wishlist" item for this to be addressed, so
hopefully it will be in a future version of KDE.  In the meantime, the
approach of editing the desktop files directly worked.

I believe that I *also* figured out how I *could* have done it without
using such a "wizardly" obscure approach:

- delete the kmail mini-icon from the kicker panel.
- edit the menu item for kmail.
- copy the menu item for kmail from the menu to the kicker panel.

Not that I'm trying that right now; since I already got it working like
I want using the more obscure approach I'm going to leave well enough
alone.

--
Brian, the man from Babble-On . . . .   bts at babbleon.org (personal)