Pop-up windows

Dan Allen dan at mojavelinux.com
Tue Feb 18 02:32:01 GMT 2003

Manuele Rampazzo (manu at linux.it) wrote:

> Hi there,
> I use to place every application in its own desktop: web browser on
> desktop 2, kopete on desktop 3 and so on. I'm a very tidy person :-)
>
> Sometimes these applications open a new window (a message, a pop-up
> window from a website) in the currently active desktop, so I have
> windows from kopete in desktop 2 instead of desktop 3.
>
> How can I force every new window from a specific application to open in
> a specific desktop? In WindowMaker I can do this useful trick easily,
> playing with the application window properties, but I haven't found a
> way to do the same in KDE. I've thought to use kstart, but it doesn't
> work in "my" way.
>
> Any suggestion? :-)

I'm with you, it is frustrating to always have to go find which
desktop your conversation ended up on in an IM client for instance.
It would be nice if kwin had an option like "lock all related
windows to desktop" or something like that.  I am off to research
kstart though, might be something in there of use for a few of my
problems.

Dan