Severe trouble due to broken KDED daemon which does not run

Malte Gell malte_gell at web.de
Sun Feb 9 02:10:42 GMT 2003

Hi there,
first I had trouble with printing under KDE 3.1, kdeprintd couldn't be
found or started, then someone gave me a hint to look after "kded" and
now I found that kded daemon didn't run on my machine.

Now I looked at ~/.xsession-errors and now found evidence, that a broken
kded may be the source of my headaches, error message is below. It
would be nice, if someone has a tip what to do.
I built KDE 3.1 on my own, using no special options with "./configure",
KDEDIR and QTDIR is set, old KDE temp files were deleted.

Regards,
Malte
System:
SuSE Linux 7.3 (x86)
GCC 3.2.1
Glibc 2.2.4
Kernel 2.4.19
Qt 3.1.1

startkde: Starting up...
kio (KService*): WARNING: The desktop entry file
Dokumentationen/Grokking the GIMP.desktop has Type=Link instead of
"Application" or "Service"
kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service : Dokumentationen/Grokking the
GIMP.desktop
_X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for local
_X11TransOpen: transport open failed for local/eingang:0
kded: cannot connect to X server :0
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-8364' to 'kded'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!