Equivalent of Sawfish "Run shell command" in KDE?

Gerhard den Hollander gerhard at jason.nl
Mon Sep 2 18:52:52 BST 2002

* Colin P McMillen <mcmi0037 at tc.umn.edu> (Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 11:40:30AM -0500)

> My primary use for this is to bind Ctrl+(F9-F12) to the commands
> xmms --rew,
> xmms --play,
> xmms --stop,
> xmms --fwd

> and for some obscure shortcuts to launch certain programs (I'd like to do
> Ctrl-Alt-M for KMail, for example.)

> Is there any way of doing this within the KDE system? If not, could
> someone tell me where I might be able to look in the KDE source code to
> add it? :)

yes.
I now have one of those M$ internet keyboards (they're cheap and good
enough) and bound the extra keys to these kind of functionalities.

The basic trick is to include an extra step.

1) define a menu entry (using kmenuedit) for each command that you want
2) assign the relevant shortcut to the menu entry.

If you have a M$ internet keyboard (or a logitech or whatever with those
extra keys you'll have to:

1) make sure you have no custom keyboard defined
2) use xev to see which keyboard events are being generated
| KeyPress event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
|    root 0x68, subw 0x0, time 196859132, (122,97), root:(184,117),
|    state 0x0, keycode 67 (keysym 0xffbe, F1), same_screen YES,
|    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""
3) edit your .xmodmaprc to map the keycode to F13 and upward
*below is mine for a M$ inet keyboard)
! caps lock sucks
!
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
!
! internet keyboard keys
! Back
keycode 234 = F13
keycode 233 = F14
! Stop
keycode 232 = F15
! Mail
keycode 236 = F16
keycode 229 = F17
! Favorites
keycode 230 = F18
! Homepage
keycode 178 = F19
! MyComputer
keycode 235 = F20
! Calculator
keycode 161 = F21
! Sleep
keycode 223 = F22

And then ensure that xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc is run upon entering kde
(e.g. by having a relevant entry in your autostart folder)

Kind regards,
 --
Gerhard den Hollander                           Phone :+31-10.280.1515
Global IT Support manager                       Direct:+31-10.280.1539

      This e-mail and any attachment is/are intended solely for the named
  addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.
       If you are not the intended recipient, we request that you do not
         disseminate, forward, distribute or copy this e-mail message.
      If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify us
           immediately by telephone and destroy the original message.